Author Topic: brake problem.Did you Know.  (Read 2158 times)

Offline TurboTiger

• Registered Member
brake problem.Did you Know.
« on: October 25, 2008, 10:27:38 PM »
Hi everyone. I have seen a lot of posts about brake problems and am wondering how many of you realise what I have recently found out and hope this helps anyone out who has experienced the same problem I have recently.
After bleeding and more bleeding on the tigers brakes I still could only get about a quarter of a pedal and so after consulting with a mini expert he was kind enough to tell me straight away what my problem was.
I had a square shaped regulater valve and this is used for a dual brake master cylinder, however I had a single master cylinder and should have been using a round shape valve. This fixed my problems straight away.
This particular chap has told me that there is that many minis and mokes running around with the wrong regulater valves and they dont realise it.
  I hope this might help anyone else out who experienced the same problem as me and would be interested to know if anyone else has experienced this. CHEERS.
                             Terry you might help out with what you know about this. thanks.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 10:47:32 PM by TurboTiger »

Offline moemoke

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
  • Moe, Victoria
Re: brake problem.Did you Know.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 09:29:14 AM »
TT, don't suppose you could post a pic of the different types of regulator and where they are located.
you know a picture is worth a thousand words etc, and people have different names for different bits.

1976 Moke 1275cc, 1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 1976 Moke Project, 1975 Moke rust bucket, 1967 Moke rust bucket

Offline SMOKEN

• Registered Member
  • Now with the Stigs tick of approval
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 01:15:17 PM »
 Hi Moe,
         I think its the brake proportioning valve, but a pic of the two would definately
 be a good reference.

SWOMBY won't let me, I have to go to a stupid Wedding. :(

Offline Terry

• Serial Moke Offender
  • Administrator
  • Registered Member
  • Melbourne, Victoria
    • MokeWerx
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 01:37:49 PM »
Hi,

The regulator Turbo Tigger is refering to is the also known as the inertia valve or restrictor valve that is normally mounted in the rear subframe.

For the single Master systems the rear valve is mounted in the front wall of the Subframe. It has a large nut at one end and cylindrical look barrel at the other.

For the dual Master systems on the later Mokes the the inertia valve is mounted at a slight angle on the side wall of the subframe above the trumpet. this is a squarish shape with a corner cut off.

For a dual master around 1978 there was also a '5way valve' mounted below the Master and no extra hardware in the rear subframe. A vertical standing valve with two pipes in and three out mounted on the bulkhead.

Terry

Offline Casper

• Registered Member
  • IT IS ALIVE!
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 03:56:28 PM »
TT, don't suppose you could post a pic of the different types of regulator and where they are located.
you know a picture is worth a thousand words etc, and people have different names for different bits.

Yes, pics please  :)

1977 Californian and 1972 Mini van in pieces

Offline TurboTiger

• Registered Member
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 07:54:22 PM »
Hope this helps.

Offline TurboTiger

• Registered Member
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 07:58:09 PM »
And this one is for the single master cylinder. CHEERS.

Offline Casper

• Registered Member
  • IT IS ALIVE!
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 09:00:16 PM »
Thanks TT,

I feel reasured now that I know what I have, just love the pics.  :)

Casper

1977 Californian and 1972 Mini van in pieces

Offline bnicho

• Registered Member
  • Sell my Moke? I'd rather sit on a cactus!
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 02:09:09 PM »
Another point to note is that the cylindrical type works on pressure only regardless of angle and load.  The square type uses a ball rolling up a ramp method to regulate the rear pressure so it is sensitive to the slope the vehicle is on and the amount of nosedive under heavy braking. 

The square type can be used as poor man's adjustable proportioning valve by altering the angle it is mounted at.  So says Vizard anyway.  I have a new one I bought from Mini King I intend to try, as my Moke has a tendency to lock the rear wheels first in the wet, despite having the smallest rear wheel cylinders available. 

Cheers,

Brett Nicholson
**I AM GOING TO MOKE MUSTER 2011, ARE YOU?**
1971 Morris Mini Moke - 1275 4spd Auto - MOPOKE.
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Long Term Resto - Trixie
1987 Austin Mini 1275 - Rustbucket!
1974 Volkswagen Superbug L - Olive
1975 Toyopet Corona Hardtop - FOR SALE
1985 Toyota MR2 USDM Import.
2009 Nissan Mokefinder TD.