Author Topic: Morris 1100 disc brakes  (Read 3819 times)

Offline tasmoken

• Registered Member
Morris 1100 disc brakes
« on: January 14, 2008, 07:15:30 PM »
Probaly a Doh Question. :-\

Has any body done a conversion from Standard drum brakes to Morris 1100 Disc brakes.

I have picked up a front end from a Morris 1100but I am unsure if it is feasable?

They need to be cleaned up if it is possible it may be something I can do in the future.

Offline Tim

• Registered Member
Re: Morris 1100 disc brakes
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 08:47:51 PM »
They used to do it a bit in the old days but they aren't much good. The main problem is that the swivel hubs are much bigger between the balljoints and are a different shape, so the suspension is partially compressed and the castor and/or camber angles are all weird. The other problem is that the stud pattern is larger (4 1/2" rather than 4" I think) so your wheels won't fit without either the hub or the wheels being re-drilled. I don't think you can mix and match 1100 and Mini parts either, unlike say Metro brakes.

Tim

1977 Moke Californian
1961 Morris Mini Traveller

Driving a Moke with a hardtop is like having a shower in a raincoat.

Offline tasmoken

• Registered Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 09:04:12 PM »
Thanks Tim
I didnt think so , but I never look a gift horse in the mouth  ;D

Offline bnicho

• Registered Member
  • Sell my Moke? I'd rather sit on a cactus!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 09:08:23 PM »
Hi,
Most people who d this conversion fit the CV's, drive flanges, disks and callipers to a std Mini/Moke drum upright with a fabricated adaptor plate.  The callipers do not fit Mini/Moke disk crake uprights, as the bolt spacing is different.  Plus, they are only 8" disks and very thin. 

The Honda conversion is better IMHO. 

Both require engineers certification to be legal of course...  ;)
Brett Nicholson
**I AM GOING TO MOKE MUSTER 2011, ARE YOU?**
1971 Morris Mini Moke - 1275 4spd Auto - MOPOKE.
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Long Term Resto - Trixie
1987 Austin Mini 1275 - Rustbucket!
1974 Volkswagen Superbug L - Olive
1975 Toyopet Corona Hardtop - FOR SALE
1985 Toyota MR2 USDM Import.
2009 Nissan Mokefinder TD.

Offline moemoke

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
  • Moe, Victoria
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 09:43:49 PM »
This conversion was popular in the 70's and I was / am halfway through doing one before I got a 8.4" setup.
you strip of all the drum brake stuff and make an adapter that is screwed onto the 3 screws that held the drum backing plate on
this adapter is about 10mm steel thick and say 150 OD and 130 ID (its just a ring with a lug bit to bolt the calipers onto)
I think you need to either grind out the inner casting near the CV to allow the caliper to fit or I think you turn the upright upside down or swap it to the other side of car, (Terry knows the correct method and I think he even has some adaptor rings amongst his stuff)
you need to modify the 1100 drive flange to suit the moke PCD wheel and and fit up the hoses and thats about it
like Bnicho says though I think a Honda one is better, maybe he can fill us in on the details  :)

1976 Moke 1275cc, 1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 1976 Moke Project, 1975 Moke rust bucket, 1967 Moke rust bucket

Offline Wombat

• Registered Member
  • Brisbane, Queensland
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 11:02:17 AM »
I have the drawings for the backing plate(10" wheels but) and photos and some text in a collection of files if interested. Big files need broadband
David L

Offline bnicho

• Registered Member
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 12:27:26 PM »
I've posted details on the Honda Brakes before.  I can';t take credit, I stole the idea from Ausmini who stole it from the yanks!

- Go to the wreckers and remove callipers and disks from a mid-80's City (8.4" disks) or Civic (9" disks)
- Make up the daptor plate, similar to the 1100 one.  You don't need to tap threads in it, as the Honda Calliper has threads in it to hold it on.  Bolt to the Moke drum upright using hi-tensile bolts in the old backplate holes. 

- Machine out centre hole in disk to it fits snugly on Moke/Mini drum brake drive flange.
- Redrill the disk to Moke stud pattern.  Instead I dropped the disk over the Mini wheel studs, centred it in place and then drilled and tapped holes into a 10mm spacer from behind and secured with allen-head bolts.

- Block the brake hose hole and file off the two little lugs.  Now screw in the Mini brake hose.  The thread is identical, but you may need two copper washers to get a good seal, as the thread is not quite deep enough in some cases.   

- Bolt together with new wheel bearings and go!  Well, maybe not quite, but you get the drift. 
Brett Nicholson

Offline Wombat

• Registered Member
  • Brisbane, Queensland
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 04:01:19 PM »
Has anyone had this conversion passed by an engineer? . Not trying to be a downer - just want to know if its something you keep mum about or happily pay your money to get a certification knowing it will go through without hassles  ::)
David L

Offline Andy

• Registered Member
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 08:25:21 PM »
how does the honda setup compare to the camira setup? i have camira discs on mine (cost about $950 for the conversion kit ready to bolt on) but as of yet i havnt made the thing go so i cant drive it to find out how good they are.
Guaranteed a poke in a Mini Moke

If you value your life as much as I value my Moke, dont %#@& with it.

Offline bnicho

• Registered Member
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 09:19:18 AM »
The honda setup looks factory if you use a backplate, so I have't tried to get it engineered mostly for cost reasons.  A set of 8.4" Moke brakes is cheaper than the certificate.  But I know some guys in in Qld have had it passed. 

Not sure how it conmpares to a Camira kit, as I've never tried that one. 
Brett Nicholson

Offline drmini in aust

• Registered Member
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 08:50:47 PM »
Bnicho, I believe I put the Honda conversion info on ausmini in the first place, it was not `stolen from the Yanks'. :D Joltfreak's conversion was done after ours, I sent him the info.
In the beginning...
An ausmini member `13secmini' imported a set of Honda City brakes from NZ, they were already modified to fit a Mini with 10" wheels. (I bought them from him when he elected to fit Metro turbo 8.4s to his 4EFTE Mini instead).
The City rotors were poorly drilled and attached to the drive flanges and had over 1mm runout, so I redesigned the attachment so the rotor had a spigot location.
These brakes are on my son's Clubby but it was sold last year.

Subsequently a few Mini owning mates wanted Honda kits, I scoured the local wreckers and found Honda Civics were very similar. The backplate design was changed a little to suit the Civic calipers bolt spacing.
I have backplate dimensions for both 10" and 12-13" wheels
I did make up a few sets, but got out of it because I doubt you would ever get them engineered in 10" wheels- rotors need turning down to 7.9",also the caliper and pad brackets need grinding a fair bit to fit. Steel wheels will not fit even then.
12 or 13" wheels are another matter- you can run stock Honda Civic 9.1" rotors and calipers. They stop bloody well.

I'm not making any more for sale, but my Moke is getting a set. 8)

<edit> `animal' on the ausmini forum has had a set engineered in Qld, he used Honda Accord ones which are nearly the same as Civics, but ventilated.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 08:58:56 PM by drmini in aust »
Kevin G
Hills District, Sydney, NSW

Pilot of Mini HaHa- 1360 wasMatic, had 86.6HP ATW, no hairdryer either...
New 1412 stroker, 114HP & 113lb/ft torque on Graham Russell's engine dyno, now in car. mucho torque...

Offline bnicho

• Registered Member
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 07:04:45 AM »
Okay, it wasn't stolen from the yanks, it was the Kiwis the first set came from.  Now that's a first - Kiwi innovation!  ;D

I then stole the idea from Dr Mini's thread.   

Brett Nicholson

Offline Terry

• Serial Moke Offender
  • Administrator
  • Registered Member
  • Melbourne, Victoria
    • MokeWerx
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 09:05:31 AM »
Hi,

The 1100 conversion was a good option in its day because there were plenty available but these days not really wortth he effort and Moe was right i do have a box of stuff with all the adapters etc from the person that used to do them in the MOA many years ago. The Gryphon runs them and one day when I get time I will be getting rid of them and doing something else under there. The Calipers are a different size, but they use the same piston and seal kit as the standard 8.4" set up so parts are easy enough to get. As Moe suggested they hub are swapped around, left to right, to make things fit and this why I want to get rid of them, the steering geomentry is close but wrong. The conversion uses standard 8.4" rotors that are slightly machined either on the face for most or with my changes I have to trim them down to about 8.3"

The Honda conversion pictured looks nice, however a few years ago a friend bought over his Honda conversion disc brake front end and as he took it apart I took photos of it with the intention of doing an article on it. Like most conversions they pretty much follow the same idea, adapter to hold calipers and fitting the new rotor over the drive flange, just this particular conversion was very well engineered and appears to have less machining and drilling than described here.

As he can't even switch on a  computer I am pretty sure it was all his own development and I think he told me all up it cost about $200.00. One day I will get the article written, just wont be this month :)

Terry