Author Topic: Help guys! - Fitting suspension  (Read 2300 times)

Offline Ian

• Registered Member
  • http://www.moke.com.au/Forum/gallery/545_20_10_09_
Help guys! - Fitting suspension
« on: November 03, 2007, 08:44:11 PM »
Need a bit of help before I start to throw spanners around the garage!

Right, been in there for a couple of hours trying to fit the new hi-lows to the front end.
Now you know I have built everything up and bought new rubber thingies, the problem being I can't get the dam things to fit. I know the hi-lows will be a tight fit to the new rubbers but even if they went in straight away there's bugger all space to fit the other thingy into the hole on the top arm.

Hope you know what I mean with thingies and thingy!

Anyone done this job before?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 10:27:41 PM by Terry »
Ian
Victoria Point
Brisbane
Qld

74 Moke - modified BMW K1100 cylinder head, 1330cc thick flange (ex automatic), A+ crank & Rods lightened and balanced, 4 pin diff, intercooled Turbo. Baboon brake conversion, uprated steering/suspension,

HSV Hunter!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline moke

• Registered Member
    • The Mini Moke Club
Re: Help guys!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 09:19:44 PM »
Ian, did you use a "cone compressor" to remove the old rubber cones/doughnuts?
If not, then you got away with not having one during unassembly becase the cones were probably flat. You're now fitting new cones? You need to compress them during assembly to get everything to fit.
It's been a few years since I did this job but I'm about to repeat the experience on my current Moke so I'm sure I will remember all sorts of other problems doing the job.
Dean
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 09:23:10 PM by moke »
It's hard to leave when you can't find the door - Joe Walsh

Offline Tim

• Registered Member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 09:30:44 PM »
I had a Moulton Smooth-a-Ride kit fitted a few years ago. Jeez the boys complained about it afterwards. The front cones were a lot taller than the originals and they had a lot of trouble getting them into the subframe. They managed to get them in eventually but I think they had to use quite a large persuader. Once you get the rubber cones in you'll need to do them up really tight with a cone compressor (modern ones need a metric tread I believe) because they are pretty tall when they're new.

Tim
1977 Moke Californian
1961 Morris Mini Traveller

Driving a Moke with a hardtop is like having a shower in a raincoat.

Offline moemoke

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
  • Moe, Victoria
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 09:32:54 PM »
have you wound the hi-lo's in so they are as short as possible,
undo the shocker and get the top arm as low as you can.
it was a long time ago but thats how I got mine to fit (I think)

1976 Moke 1275cc, 1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 1976 Moke Project, 1975 Moke rust bucket, 1967 Moke rust bucket

Offline moke

• Registered Member
    • The Mini Moke Club
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 09:37:09 PM »
Yes, a Metric tread is definitely better.....UNF tends to slip in the wet. ;D
Dean

Offline Terry

• Serial Moke Offender
  • Administrator
  • Registered Member
  • Melbourne, Victoria
    • MokeWerx
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 09:38:34 PM »
Ian,

I suspect you are trying to fit them without a suspension compression tool, in which case it is impossible with the top arm already assembled as in your earlier photos. If you disconnect the arm from the ball joint and remove the top arm pin it might be possible to manage it without a  tool.

The cone suppressor is not your normal spring compression tool and you either need to borrow one or make one up.

The threaded end on the right drops down through the top of the subframe tower and into the thread that is inside your new donuts. Then you turn the top handle on the thread to compress the donut and give yourself the room to fit the bits in.

Terry

Ps. All the previous replies were done in the time it took me to find the picture and upload...must be a quiet night on the telly :)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 09:40:15 PM by Terry »

Offline Terry

• Serial Moke Offender
  • Administrator
  • Registered Member
  • Melbourne, Victoria
    • MokeWerx
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 09:53:39 PM »
Ian,

The thread could be anything, The early cones were UNC and UNF and although I can't say i have come across a metric thread, it wouldn't surise me if a non genuine has its own thread.

Terry

Offline moke

• Registered Member
    • The Mini Moke Club
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 10:17:46 PM »
Ian, most of the compressor tools I have seen can be used on both UNF and Metric cones (The threads are 1/2" UNF and 14mm...I have never heard of a UNC cone). Metric cones were introduced in 1976 and if you bought the replacements from one of the main dealers, it was probably imported from the UK and is a Metric thread (unless it's from China....do they make cones yet?).
Anyway, you can make your own or buy one. Here's an example of a ready made unit http://www.minispares.com/Product.aspx?pid=36986
Dean

Offline Terry

• Serial Moke Offender
  • Administrator
  • Registered Member
  • Melbourne, Victoria
    • MokeWerx
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 10:25:25 PM »
Ian,

Moke could be right on the UNC, maybe mine are metric, I just use whatever fits out of a choice of three or four threads I have.

Keep in mind if you are going to make your own, or use a someone elses, that because they are designed to be used in the Moke, you need to allow for the fact there is a few inches of bulkhead missing when the subframe is out of the Moke.

If you make one, make sure you make the thread is long enough to get through the bulkhaed, tower and clear the top of the master cylinders. If you use someone else's then you may need to use a spacer.

Whatever you do, make sure you thread it well into the donut and never put your fingers where they could get caught if it lets go. I have seen them fail and your fingers wont stand a chance.

Terry

Offline Ian

• Registered Member
  • http://www.moke.com.au/Forum/gallery/545_20_10_09_
Re: Help guys! - Fitting suspension
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 06:21:11 AM »
Right then, it now seams that I need the rght tools for the job!

Has anyone got one I could lend for a weekend please?

I'd buy one but it would just be for this and then be useless!

Ian
Ian
Victoria Point
Brisbane
Qld

74 Moke - modified BMW K1100 cylinder head, 1330cc thick flange (ex automatic), A+ crank & Rods lightened and balanced, 4 pin diff, intercooled Turbo. Baboon brake conversion, uprated steering/suspension,

HSV Hunter!!!!!!!!!!!